We all love our pets and feel the need to spoil them from time to time. Although we treat ourselves with chocolate, special fruits and tasty meat, some of these foods are extremely harmful for our dogs. From digestive problems such as nausea or diarrhea to severe intoxication, certain aliments can cause serious problems for our pups – so here’s what to avoid.
One of the greatest enemies in terms of foods for a dog is chocolate.
Considering how much we love this delicious desert, we may think to share it with our best friend. Don’t. Chocolate contains a chemical called theobromide, which can severely damage a dog in many ways. The first signs you may see are nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. However, what happens on the inside is a whole new story.
On the inside, chocolate affects a dog’s central nervous system, kidneys, heart and lungs. Feed your dog with chocolate a few times and there may even occur internal bleeding, which requires immediate assistance from a specialist! Due to the fact that chocolate acts very much like a poison, dogs will also suffer from irregular heart rate, tremor, overheating and seizures.
Some studies have shown that milk chocolate is less toxic than cocoa powder, dark chocolate or baker’s one, but that doesn’t reduce the risk of poisoning. So if your dog ate some chocolate by mistake, you should immediately take him to the vet and make sure that everything’s okay.